Friday, January 08, 2010

Still in that space

I'm still in that space of discomfort, and discontent that I described late last night.

In the midst of that space, I'm making the choice to be thankful.

Thankful that in my workplace, jokingly nicknamed by my roommate "the soap opera", it's been an incredibly calm and boring week.  No explosions.  People in good moods despite being busy.  Tasks on my list that I've really enjoyed.  A full week like that is an incredibly rare occurrence, and I'm thankful for it.

Thankful for the colors of sunrise lighting the sky outside my office window.  Moments like that, the simple things, remind me in the midst of discontent that God is never changing.  The sun will rise, day after day, with new starts, and God's creative hand guiding the day.

Thankful that it's Friday, that the weekend is coming, and that I'm wearing jeans at the office.

Thankful for little things that signify healing.  The scarf I'm wearing today took a long time for me to be able to wear after it was gifted to me.  It was a symbol of shattered relationships.  I've worn it several times recently, and realized just last night that it is no longer so bittersweet a gift.  It, like so many of my scarves, is now simply a reminder to pray - for the friend who gifted it to me, and for the country and continent in which it originated.  (Many of my scarves come from different spots all over the world...)

Thankful for some fun plans for the weekend.

I'm still in that funny, odd, discontent space, but today I'm going to try to choose to be thankful.

Thankful that God is working in my heart and has me in this funny, odd, discontent space.

0 comments: