So, I'm letting myself off the hook. No more starting posts with apologies. I'm just going to show up here when I have the time and motivation to show up here. And today, I do.
So allow me to present a list of random thoughts for your perusal:
- Yesterday I purchased two lawn chairs. It was sort of one of those "I feel like a grown-up" moments. I mean, adults own lawnchairs, right? Non-adults use blankets, or sit on the grass, or sponge a chair off a friend who has more grown-up cred than them. So I get some grown-up points for buying a pair of lawn chairs for use at all future summer/outdoor parties!
- I'm pretty peopled out at the moment. I always feel like that after the first week of a new semester, and this semester would appear to be following right along the same trend as usual.
- I have Mondays off this semester. This is going to help immensely with the trend of getting overtired and peopled out so quickly.
- Also, I'm spending the semester in a perinatal placement. That means I'm spending my summer doing two days a week in placements that include labor and delivery, NICU, and postpartum. Mommies and babies all summer long! I'm pretty much ecstatic.
- Because I'm peopled out, I'm spend the day alone, enjoying quiet and getting ready for the week ahead. That means I'm cleaning, organizing, doing laundry, making lists, and just chilling out. It's kind of perfect.
- This morning I tried a gluten free pancake mix that I'd purchased with the hope that it would actually taste good. It did!!! Hallelujah.
- On that note, I should add that I've recently begun trying to seriously limit the gluten and starches that I consume. I've noticed that if I eat a diet higher in protein and fruit and veggies, and lower in starch, I feel a lot better. Also, I have less mood swings. I find that slightly annoying, since most of my favorite foods are sweet and starchy and full of gluten. However, these days I'm placing a pretty high premium on feeling healthier, so it's a toss up. Also, I find that not being militant about it helps - it makes me thankful that my food sensitivities are just that - sensitivities - and not allergies.
- In other random food related news, I'm currently having a love affair with green smoothies. And quinoa. But not together.
- Also, I've discovered that exercise really can reverse a low mood. This discovery truly annoys me, since I hate exercising with a passion! That said, it's hard to argue with results, and since I really am working on ways to be a healthier person, and to manage my anxiety and moods more naturally, I'm annoyed to admit that I have several times put on a Jillian Michaels video to kick a bad mood in the butt.
- In the area of managing anxiety and mood, after two years on my medication, I'm at a place where I'm starting to work towards weaning the dosage, and hopefully going off the medications. That said, I don't recommend the first week of a new semester as the time to start the weaning process. Clearly I didn't think that one through. Thus the need for those dates with Jillian Michaels videos!
- And finally, I woke up this morning thinking about loneliness and community. Yesterday was a day where I got some rare in person time with a very trusted friend, and it was lovely. It also highlighted the ongoing challenge of having my closest friends in other countries and continents, and the need to continue to build a supportive community here at home.