Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

When I woke this morning, I was feeling pretty dejected.  It wasn't the greatest night for restful sleep (though I did sleep, so hard that I forgot to take my glasses off, and woke with them still on this morning.)  And some of the more challenging realities of life right now remain most present in the late night and early morning hours when I am laying, alone, in the dark and quiet, and not filling time and space with distractions.

And then I remembered that today is Thanksgiving in the United States.

One of the bonuses of having dual citizenship is that I get my pick of holidays from two different countries (not as formal days off, but as things to celebrate and acknowledge), and it's rather nice to celebrate Thanksgiving not once, but twice.  And, the best part is, I don't even care about the meal.  Turkey and pumpkin pie don't do a lot for me, so I just get to celebrate the happy internal part, without the feast that leaves you feeling overfull and sick for the next two days!

And that's what I'm doing today.  Pausing to give thanks.  To think, as I move through my day, about the things I'm grateful for, and focus on those instead of on all the challenges of life right now.  My goal is to have a nice long daily 5 list at the end of the night tonight of all the things that come to mind today for which to give thanks.

So, today I'm virtually waving "hello" to my American friends and family, and wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving.  I'd give each of you a hug if I was nearby.  May you know rich blessings of joy and peace and grace today, and have many, many things for which to give thanks.

0 comments: