Monday, January 12, 2009

Comfortably Situated

I am propped up in bed. With three pillows behind me, and another beneath my knees.

I have magic bags draped across both of my feet and ankles, which are desperately glad that I decided to set aside any and all tasks that required standing tonight. I slipped on some snow and ice yesterday and fell. Not badly really. Just a moment that was lacking in gracefulness. (And who can be graceful, really, in winter boots and coat, while walking down a slope on an icy, snowy lakeshore?) I didn't think it was all that bad at the time - I knew I'd twisted one ankle a bit, but upon waking this morning and attempting to move I discovered that it was perhaps a bit worse than I'd thought. It would seem that I actually managed to roll both ankles as well as twist my left knee. I climbed three flights of stairs this morning on my sore knee and ankles. I wasn't yet ready to acknowledge that I might be in pain, and I was avoiding someone who arrived at the building at the same time as me and was taking the elevator. I couldn't bear the idea that my first human interaction of the day would be an insincere conversation with said person. Taking the stairs was a mistake. I discovered today that limping is a difficult proposition when you can't take the extra weight on your opposite leg. So I kind of waddle for the moment. It looks goofy.

I'm sorting through bills. Catching up on some emails. Making lists. There are lit candles scattered around the room. That always makes me happy.

I'm still not feeling too great - I got quite ill at work on Friday, and though I've managed to eat at least one meal a day since, my stomach is still being choosy. So I had toast for dinner. Followed by blue jello. I love jello. Yes, I know what it's made of, but I love it anyway. (Just as a side note, if you've ever watched or participated in synchronized swimming - that stuff that makes their hair so shiny - clear gelatin. It's the dickens to wash out later, but does the trick for keeping your hair in place in a way that no hair gel will. And it actually makes your hair incredibly soft.)

Eventually here I'll get around to some reading - I have a new book to start, and I'm nearly finished re-reading a favorite from last year's list. I may even take some time to catch up on life and write in my journal. Or I might just watch last week's episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice online while semi-reclining, since I did go to all the trouble of getting comfortably situated.

0 comments: