Saturday, December 04, 2010

A Full Sweet Day

I wasn't sure what to expect out of today.  I knew it would be busy.  I had an appointment to keep, time with a friend, and a baby shower to attend.

I wasn't expecting it to be the sort of day that is full of blessings.

A few weeks ago I'd mentioned to a dear friend that I had a day full of engagements on various sides of the city, and that I'd be spending hours on transit getting to and from those locations.  Without missing a beat my friend offered to act as my chauffeur for the day.  It was such a blessing to get to my appointment this morning more easily, have time to have lunch with her afterwards, and then get a ride to the baby shower I needed to attend.

I wasn't sure what the baby shower would be like.  I really only knew the friend who was pregnant (and her mother and sister), and not any of the other friends who would be attending.  And yet, it was wonderful.  My friend has a unique gift of making friends in a wide variety of circles, and somehow managing to bring very varied people together and help them enjoy each other.  She is from South America, so the party was colorful.  I wish you could have been there to experience it - to watch these people from all aspects of her life, talking and chatting and just being women gathered together to celebrate the impending birth of a little one, in a totally random mixture of two separate languages!  It was a wonderful afternoon that spilled over into evening.  I had a number of wonderful conversations - with my friend, with her mother (a lady I've appreciated deeply for a number of years), with my friend's husband (when he showed up), and with a few complete strangers!  Conversations about God and faith and life and changes.  It was fabulous.  And then, to top it off, one of her friends offered to drop me at a train station (to save me the walk to a bus stop, and the time waiting in the cold for the bus), and then suddenly, as we were driving, insisted on driving me the entire way home!  Such a blessing.

It was not at all what I'd sort of expected in my head when I thought about the day before it began this morning, but it was full and rich and sweet, and I'm thankful for it.

0 comments: