Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Henri on Ash Wednesday

A thought from Henri Nouwen on Ash Wednesday, excerpted from "The Road to Daybreak."

A Lenten Prayer


The Lenten season begins. It is a time to be with you, Lord, in a special way, a time to pray, to fast, and thus to follow you on your way to Jerusalem, to Golgotha, and to the final victory over death.

I am still so divided. I truly want to follow you, but I also want to follow my own desires and lend an ear to the voices that speak about prestige, success, pleasure, power, and influence. Help me to become deaf to these voices and more attentive to your voice, which calls me to choose the narrow road to life.

I know that Lent is going to be a very hard time for me. The choice for your way has to be made every moment of my life. I have to choose thoughts that are your thoughts, words that are your words, and actions that are your actions. There are not times or places without choices. And I know how deeply I resist choosing you.

Please, Lord, be with me at every moment and in every place. Give me the strength and the courage to live this season faithfully, so that, when Easter comes, I will be able to taste with joy the new life that you have prepared for me.

Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a question- where do you get your Nouwen quotes?

Lisa said...

Ally most of them come from various newsletters that I get from the Henri Nouwen Society. If you google them, it'll take you to your website and you can sign up for the email newsletters.