Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Rain

I had to go out for a few minutes this evening, to meet my brother at the mechanic. I left George there to have a few repairs done, before I have to drive him for a longer time period and distance to get to the wedding I'm attending out of town this weekend. My brother met me at the mechanic, we went together to mom and dad's house, and then I drove home in their car, which they're generously loaning me for the day tomorrow.

It was raining.

As I waited at the mechanic's for T. to arrive, I sat in George, with everything turned off, and simply enjoyed the sound of rain on the roof.

I've been hoping for rain for days now. I used to hate it, but these days, I think I'd rather have it. Particularly the sort of, end of day, after heat, rain that we often get in the summer.

A refreshing, and a washing clean.

I've needed that symbolism deeply again lately.

And, as I turned into the alley to park the car at my house, I smiled, because there, waiting to greet me, was a beautiful and vivid half-rainbow. It's been a while since I've seen one where the colors were full and bright. And it made me smile as well.

A much needed promise. A refreshing and a washing clean.

0 comments: