Monday, February 25, 2008

I bless the starless night

I recently put the song "Dark Night of the Soul" by Steve Bell (adapted from the poem of the same title by St. John of the Cross) on a playlist I created for a dear friend. Every song on the list had deep significance to my journey of late except that one. Song lyrics speak to me, often give words that I just don't have for the deep places of my heart, and I'm committed to sharing those deep places with this friend. So, every once in a while I stick some songs on a cd, and send them to her, with a list of their titles, and a few words of commentary on why that song.

I couldn't figure out why I put "Dark Night of the Soul" on the latest disc. Not sure I know exactly even now. I pressed the skip button at least twice today, as I was listening to that playlist on my ipod at work.

But just now, as I spent some time alone, silent, still, and ultimately on my face, I could not get bits of the song out of my head. I entered into a deep quiet, where my thoughts mostly ceased, but the melody kept playing...

I understood, just a little, when I finally emerged and looked up the lyrics. Three bits in particular caught me, and are catching me...

I went out by myself
Seen by no one else
A somewhat reckless journey from the start
Pressing through the night
Without light or guide
Save the fire that consumed my heart

I bless the starless night
A night by far more lovely than the dawn
Oh happy chance
To discover in the barren dark
The one I knew so well

And there with my love I rested
Fanned by a cooling wind
Wounded by love's caresses
Suspending all my senses...

0 comments: