Sunday, March 06, 2011

Daily 5 - Year 2, Day 202

Today is one of those days where I can't believe I've made a daily practice of listing at least 5 moments that made me smile, or for which I was thankful, into something that has lasted so long.  One year and two hundred and two days.  It's one of those days where I'm struck by the slow changes this practice has wrought in me.  It's a day where, honestly, I was exhausted and drained, and spent various chunks of time working to fight off random spats of tears.  But it was a day that held beauty, in which I reached often for my phone and jotted items to add to tonight's list.

And so, here's today's Daily 5:
  1. 1 year, 202 days of making these lists
  2. coconut scented body butter, slathered on my legs after a shower.  On a day when I was longing for sun and palm trees, this was sort of a breath of hope.  A scent reminding me of summer.
  3. whole wheat toast with butter and jam
  4. a quiet Sunday morning, home alone
  5. One last chance to spend time with L. before she gets on a plane for other continents, literally completing a trip 'round the world over the last four months.
  6. Shopping with J and L, my former roommates and laughing together, enjoying the comfortable familiarity of those who have lived together and know each other's habits well
  7. I finally purchased a rack for my collection of earrings, and I'm super excited about it.  It's pretty and cute, and I can't wait to get home tomorrow evening, sort through my collection and add them to the rack.  I took before (and will take after) pictures to share.  I wasn't planning to buy anything today, but I've been looking for a way to visibly display my earrings for literally years, and when I came upon this one that was both cute and reasonably priced, J and L, who have been on many a shopping trip with me where I've pondered options, convinced me that I couldn't afford to walk away.  I'm so glad they talked me into it!
  8. catching up on blog reading - google reader has revolutionized my blog reading, and I'm loving that they're all in one place, just waiting for me
  9. watching The Food Network, both on television, and online today.  Absolutely my favorite background for sitting to read, write, or otherwise putter.
  10. Anthropologie - new to Canada, or at least to Calgary, but so pretty, and full of inspiration, even if I will never really afford anything there.  We spent a long time wandering around in there, fingering clothes, sitting in furniture, exclaiming over pretty things and fun ideas, and smelling candles (our favorite was a mango jasmine scented one).  I walked away feeling separated from the greyness of March in Calgary, and inspired to create something beautiful.  Not bad for a free pastime!

0 comments: