Friday, February 04, 2011

A Review of "In Constant Prayer"

I was delighted when "In Constant Prayer" popped up as an option for a review on booksneeze.com and immediately requested a copy.  Prayer is one of my favorite topics, and by far the most helpful book I've ever read on the subject (Living Prayer) was also written by Benson.  He has become one of my favorite authors, and this book, like all the others of his that I've read, was excellent.  "In Constant Prayer" is part of The Ancient Practices series, exploring the ancient traditions of the church and whether they are applicable to modern culture.  In Constant Prayer examines the tradition of fixed hour prayer, or praying the offices.

Benson writes in a style that engages the reader, and, though I've never heard him speak, as I began to read, I could "hear" his voice - the familiar (and now much beloved) voice and tone from his other books begin to draw me in, and couldn't help but smile.

As an introduction to praying the offices, this is fabulous -engaging and easy to follow, while providing enough history and narrative to draw the reader into the idea of joining in a millenia old concert of prayer.  I did found myself wishing for a more examples of the actual structure of the offices, but am confident that I'll be able to find these in the recommended titles that Benson included at the end of the book.

This book is well worth the read - both for those who already believe a life of prayer is important, and for those who are just beginning to wonder if perhaps there is something to the idea of praying regularly, joining with the saints.

note: In Constant Prayer was provided to me at no charge by booksneeze.com.  I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed here are my own.

0 comments: