Friday, December 31, 2010

Reverb 10: Day 31 - Core Story

Today's Reverb 10 Prompt:

December 31 – Core Story

What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? (Bonus: Consider your reflections from this month. Look through them to discover a thread you may not have noticed until today.)

(Author: Molly O’Neill)

I think this prompt is my favorite of the questions that have been posed over this month of reverb10.

The central story at the core of me is this:

I am known and loved by the creator of the universe, a God who heals and who offers wholeness, who is perfectly constant, unchanging, and desires to draw all of creation into a deep joy and to bring redemption and resurrection to broken and dead things. 

It's quite the story, and I've been years learning it, and expect to be learning it for the remainder of my life.

That part about being not just known, but loved - that was big this year.

I've also discovered that what I thought healing, redemption, and resurrection looked like, is quite often not at all what they end up looking like.

I've seen this story play out in crazy ways this last year.

In the unexpected way in which I suddenly found myself duckless, with no ducks left to gather in a row.

In a job loss and a housing change and a total change in career directions.

In a car accident.

In a house church that turned out to be a safe place to land.

In a funeral, and a wedding.

In a road trip with my dad, and a week in California.

In visits to the zoo.

In books I've read.  Especially a kid's book.

In celebrating the fifth anniversary of my healing from depression.

In conversations over tea and phone calls and emails and blog posts.

In unexpected decisions and actions taken.

I've seen redemption and resurrection and healing in the most unexpected places.

And I'm so grateful for them.

Because they are at the core of my being, and are making themselves at home there in new ways that excite and challenge me.

0 comments: