Sunday, October 24, 2010

Adaptation

Every year I forget how long it takes to adapt to winter. The first cold days hit and I'm freezing. I forget that, like anything else in my life, winter requires adaptation, and that it's usually a slow adaptation.

By January, I'll be celebrating a day where the high is -1 C. The weather that is making me achy and cold and grumpy today will be a welcome relief in February.

And I'm stopping this morning to consider what other things in my life just need some time for adaptation? What else seems awful now, but will feel like a blessing later? What gifts are hidden in the time adaptation requires?

(That said, this morning I'm going to the zoo with a friend, to visit palm trees of the sort that grow indoors, and remind myself of warmer days!)



0 comments: