Saturday, October 31, 2009

Re-formation day

I love the name of the church holiday celebrated today. Reformation Day.

I'm not a huge fan of the schism that the events marked by Reformation Day created, but I love the idea of reformation. Of being re-formed.

I love that it comes the day before an anniversary I celebrate each year. (I'll talk more about that tomorrow.)

But today, I mostly love the idea of a do-over that being re-formed offers.

That fresh start. I love that offering of newness. I'm desperately hungry for it today.

And so today I'm thankful for that... for hundreds of years of chances to re-form, for a day dedicated to remembering that, for a Jesus who offered new life and fresh starts... for a God who compared himself to a potter, molding us into vessels for his use. And today I'm grateful for that mental image of malleable clay, being reshaped into something beautiful. And I pray for that for my life.

0 comments: