Friday, September 18, 2009

Bits and Bobs...

Some quotes and other stuff that I've found encouraging and/or challenging this week...

Lord, let the thick skin that covers me not be a hindrance to you. Pass through it. My eyes, my hands, my mouth are yours. This sad lady in front of me: here is my mouth for you to smile at her ... This smug young man, so dull, so hard: here is my heart, that you may love him, more strongly than he has ever been loved before.

- Madeleine Delbrêl,
Missionary and activist (1904-1964)

Yesterday's Daily Text Reading from the Moravians:

So God led the people by the roundabout way of the wilderness towards the Red
Sea. Exodus 13:18

And having been warned by God in a dream not to return to Herod, the magi left
for their own country by another way. Matthew 2:12 (NASB)

Holy God, we often want to follow the easy way. Help us to listen and to follow
your leading. Although it may not be the path we would choose, help us to trust
that you are taking us by the safest route. Amen.


The more you are afflicted the more you ought to rejoice, because in the fire of tribulation the soul will become pure gold, worthy to shine in the heavenly palace.

— from Quiet Moments With Padre Pio


The initial response the proclamation of the reign [of God] produces...is one of joy and happiness. Later, there will be a call to live up to the values of the coming reign.

- Juan Ramón Moreno,
Jesuit priest murdered in El Salvador in 1989.



0 comments: