Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Labyrinth

Okay, how cool is this? (link via shallowfrozenwater)

I walked a labyrinth for the first time on Maundy Thursday this year. A friend had invited me to join her for a dinner and evening of prayer and reflection using a labyrinth at a local church. She sometimes goes to their permanently installed labyrinth during the week to walk and pray.

In discussing my thoughts afterwards, I commented that I was really in far too scattered a place emotionally and spiritually that evening to truly experience what I was doing, but even in the midst of that, in the midst of the walking, bits and pieces of Jesus' peace penetrated. I told her that I thought, given adequate preparation beforehand, time to quiet myself a little and to really desire to meet Jesus (I'll be honest in saying that in my scattered state that evening all I really wanted to do was go home to bed), I felt that walking a labyrinth could be a truly meaningful prayer experience for me.

So I loved the video I linked to at the beginning of this post when I came across it. Because I also love to walk near waves and pray. A labyrinth on a beach sounds kind of like my idea of heaven! Very cool!

1 comments:

shallowfrozenwater said...

Lisa, i did a followup post on some of my own thoughts around labyrinths if you or anyone wants to check it out. you'll have to look at the post about pilgrimage a little further down the blogroll. i appreciate the mention by the way.