Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thursday Morning Rhythms of Life

I woke this morning to an email from a dear friend that, among other things, contained the cheerfully tongue in cheek reminder "Only two days left!" I love that I have a friend who counts down to the weekend at least as much as I do.

I've been thinking about the rhythms of my life again lately.

About how there are patterns that can be seen if I stop and recognize them.

How different days of the week seem to have a rhythm all their own.

Mondays, for example, are generally decent days for me. They're a bit slow out of the gate (never quite wanting to leave the rest of the weekend behind), but thanks to a weekend, as a general rule I'm fairly well rested and have the energy to get through the day.

Wednesdays, by contrast are generally a "tough it out" sort of day. I'm not sure why that is. But Wednesdays are typically hard. I don't have a lot of energy reserves, and it takes a whole lot more bribery and self-talk to get through the day. And chocolate. Wednesdays require chocolate. Maybe it's just that it's that middle of the week "hump day". Maybe it's that we have staff meetings every other Wednesday, and they're usually a bit of a frustrating ordeal. I tend to feel ill more often on Wednesdays. I tend to be tired and cranky more often on Wednesdays. I'm learning to be gentle with myself on Wednesdays.

Yesterday, by the way, was no exception to any of those rules. Also, my well-sealed water bottle decided to come open in my purse on the way home, dousing several items and generally creating a kafuffle.

However, after leaving work, I managed to accomplish several important errands in a short period of time, thus picking up my mood. And, I ate a huge sandwich from Arbys. Every once in a while I just really want one of their roast beef sandwiches in the worst way. I quite happily sat cross-legged on my bed, chowing down on my large roast beef sandwich, and catching up on some emails and watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy. Then, I soaked in a bath tub accessorized with Morrocan Rose scented oil (a new purchase from the Body Shop yesterday). I had some chocolate (always helpful). I worked through a number of goofy little items on my "to do" list for the week that simply needed to get done. I wrote some emails. I painted my fingernails and my toe nails. And I relaxed and enjoyed watching the cattyness of an episode of "America's Next Top Model". (How embarrassing is it to admit that this kind of ridiculous cattyness is sort of entertaining and relaxing???)

And now, now it's Thursday, and I was greeted by the reminder from my friend that there are only two days left in the work week.

I actually generally like Thursdays. I like the days that are busier, and have a rhythm to them. There are a number of things on my list of stuff to do at work today. Some weekly things, and some projects that need to get finished. I like Thursdays because it's the day in the work week when it seems like things begin having check marks beside them on my list of "must be dones" for the week. On this particular Thursday (usually it's on Friday) I have a weekly lunch date with a coworker who is also a friend. Also, on this particular Thursday, for the first time in a week or so, there are no snow flurries in the forecast in the week, and the forecast promises temperatures above zero and sunny skies. (Have I mentioned that I love having an office with a window where I can actually see and experience the sun?!?!)

And with that, I'm off to start my busy day. But first, a trip to the office kitchen to make my toast for breakfast. Because I'm working on eating meals regularly. Like three times a day, like a normal human being. But I can't eat so early in the morning when I first wake up and head out the door. So I bring bread and honey with me to work, and make toast in the office kitchen.

0 comments: