Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Aging Process

I had an unexpectedly amusing moment this morning while conferring with my eye doctor.

First, you should know that I've been seeing the same eye doctor since I first started wearing glasses at age 11. He specializes in lazy eyes (which I have in my left eye) and does a great job, so I keep going back. He was old and slightly odd when I was 11, and he's exactly the same now. Old and slightly odd. The same slight social awkwardness and stutter. The same overly bookish and intellectual nature that makes you think he'd be perfectly at home if he really didn't ever have to talk with another human being ever again. And a refusal to wear bifocals, so he's constantly tugging his own glasses on and off while trying to read the fine print on the dials of his various machines.

I was there to see him for the annual check-up, and to discuss a minor concern I'd had about the vision in my good eye. He explained to me what caused the small floating spot in the vision that had concerned me, and assured me that it was nothing to worry about. His choice of words, however, made me crack up.

"It's part of the aging process."

Oh, that made me laugh when I was free of the confines of the dim little examining room in his office!

If I'm experiencing the "aging process" at 25, what will it be like when I'm the perpetually "old" person that he seems to be?!?!

0 comments: