Monday, February 09, 2009

An odd comfort

In these days and moments that remain intense and strange, I am increasingly thankful for the psalmists and prophets of the old testament variety. Their words give me an odd sort of comfort and hope. A model for prayers.

If these characters of "biblical proportions" can pen words of such anger and frustration and despair, and yet still model a love of the Lord, and a commitment to serve and worship him, then maybe it is possible for me to find some sort of balance in this as well.

I am taking comfort in Lamentations 3 tonight.

Particularly these verses:

My tears flow endlessly;
they will not stop
until the Lord looks down
from heaven and sees.
(3:49-50)

Look down, O Lord, and see me. Hold me and gather me to yourself. Carry me, as Isaiah says, the way you would carry a lamb, in your arms, holding me close to your heart. Leading me gently.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI again LIsa
you are so inspiring, the way you take comfort, drawing living water from the living Word.
Thank you for sharing the gold that you find there.