Monday, December 29, 2008

It's good to have people like that...

Early last week I spent a particularly fantastic evening catching up with a friend who I hadn't seen in some months. Time with Faye is always great - filled with laughter and fantastic stories, and things that are completely and totally random and amusing.

We cooked dinner together with one of her roomates, sipped tea, and ate reclining on cushions around a coffee table, since they don't have a formal dining table yet. We talked for hours about all the happenings of our lives. About the weirdness that so often defines our experiences of life. About the way God seems to employ a somewhat twisted sense of humor as a means of direction and communication in our lives.

I was talking on the phone last night with another dear friend, and recounting bits and pieces of my conversation with Faye to her. I summed it up this way, "Faye is one of the few people left in Calgary with whom I can be totally honest about God and life and my experiences of both, and she doesn't think I'm strange, or wonder (at least too much!) about my sanity." My friend responded, "It's good to have people like that." (the friend I was speaking with on the phone, by the way is also one of those people - though living at a greater distance.)

I was re-reading Faye's latest blog post again this morning, and was struck again by how much I love her heart, and her openness to let God direct her steps and days. You can read about her adventures as a part-time nanny and with evangelism here. I only wish you could hear the love and passion in her voice when she tells these stories to you in person.

0 comments: