Friday, December 19, 2008

Giving Up vs. Gaining

Anyone who knows me well will know that I am not a fan of change. Anyone who knows me well will also know that this has made the last few years quite a challenge, since they've been marked with nearly constant change and transition.

I was listening to an interview this morning with a pair of Christian authors. Their names escape me, as does the title of their book, but they were talking about living a life you're truly passionate about, and how fear and especially fear of change affects that. What struck me was this comment, "The first thing most people think about when they think about change is what they're going to have to give up, not what they're going to gain."

That line hit home. It's definitely my tendency. Even in the changes I know God is in. Even in the short term ones. My tendency is to think about how much I miss the way things "used to be" rather than to celebrate the new and beautiful things forming in my life.

It'll be a challenge to switch my thinking, but perhaps it's worth the attempt? I think it might fit nicely into the "choose life" theme that I've been working to live, and talking about often with a dear friend.

What have I gained? A question that will require some pondering today.