Monday, November 24, 2008

Intellectual Stimulation

I went to a speech/lecture given by Dr. Tony Campolo at a local university college tonight. I've heard him speak a number of times, and read a few of his books, but always enjoy the chance to hear him again.

What I'd forgotten about myself is that I absolutely love the academic world. I love writing papers and discussing ideas. I want to know how the pieces fit together, and what a wide variety of people think about a topic. I want to discuss an idea passionately, ask lots of questions about it, and maybe even have an argument about it.

Evenings like that are so often creative stimulation for me. I feel alive in those moments. My thoughts are stirring, even now, with the many possibilities for writing projects from the ideas and questions bouncing around my head.

I needed an evening like this today. After a rough few days, I needed to laugh and think and be challenged in my views. I needed to evaluate why I agreed, and why I disagreed with various points being made. I needed to use my brain a little. I needed to do something that made me feel like celebrating the fact that I'm alive.

I almost stayed home in exhaustion and disgust with myself. I'm so glad that I didn't. Those moments of feeling alive are a gift that remains somewhat rare (though becoming more common than they were in the past), and each and every one is a gift to be grateful for, and a gift worth celebrating.

0 comments: