Thursday, June 19, 2008

Buying Books

I've been so much in survival mode this last while, spending so much time just trying to make it through from one day to the next that I've stopped reading anything that challenges me to think. I've been reading almost exclusively novels (which I love, and which have often challenged me as well). But I've been reading novels as a way to escape reality.

And now, now I'm ready to challenge myself again. I'd like to read stuff that will make me see the world from a variety of angles. I want to challenge the way I think about things, and get as much information as possible on the things that fascinate me and are deeply important to me.

My best friend and I went to a local Christian bookstore that's closing at the end of the month tonight. Time to shop the sales.

I came home with the following stack of books:

Through Painted Deserts (audio) Donald Miller
Grown (Kendall Payne) - a favorite artist of mine
Dark Night of the Soul (St. John of the Cross)
The Voice Revealed - The True Story of the Last Eyewitness (Chris Seay)
Toward Jerusalem (Amy Carmichael)
A Quarter After Tuesday (Jo Kadlecek - a novel)
Healing Stones (Nancy Rue & Stephen Arteburn - a novel)
Eat this Book (Eugene H. Peterson)
Discipleship (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)
The Prophetic Imagination (Walter Brueggemann)
Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (Brian McLaren)
Making Peace With a Dangerous God: Wrestling With What We Don't Understand (Linda Clare & Kristen Johnson Ingram)

Whoohoo! Here's to many hours to come curled up in my favorite chair, reading!

0 comments: