Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Overthinking?

I have a headache. I think it’s from having a particularly stiff neck and upper back at the moment, but it could be from any number of things, including over-thinking.

I’m thinking about the following things right now:

Whether or not this is the year to begin studying for my master’s degree in counseling.

That I need to find a house or apartment or basement suite, or condo or duplex. We’ve given our landlord notice that we will be moving out at the end of June, but now we need to find somewhere to move to. Somewhere with three bedrooms and enough living space that the three of us won’t be on top of each other all the time. Somewhere that fits a few criteria such as having laundry on-site (of the free non coin-operated variety), and being within walking distance of the train.

Various possibilities for travel in the next year or so.

A long conversation I had with my roommate last night about whether or not it’s appropriate that her boyfriend spends the night on our living room floor when he comes to visit her (he lives in a city three hours away, and comes about once a month). Some of her friends find this inappropriate, but it doesn’t bother either her or me, as long as both of us are home overnight (i.e. she never stays alone in the house with him).

That I’m wondering when you stop hoping to “catch up” on sleep. If you haven’t slept properly for years, at what point do you just accept that your body’s version of a “normal” amount of sleep is apparently different from the rest of the world’s.

That I’m excited to watch America’s Next Top Model tonight.

That relationships are really the most beautiful, ugly, simple, complicated, enthralling, angering thing in the world.

That the line from Simon and Garfunkel’s “I am a Rock” that goes “If I’d never loved I never would have cried…” is surprisingly true.

That I need to call my best friend.

That I need to fold laundry.

That I need to clean my bedroom.

That I need to sweep the floor in our bathroom, hallway, kitchen, and my bedroom.

That I need to rework my budget. Again.

That I’m glad I have no plans tonight, and can go straight home from work and relax and do “domestic” type things.

That I want a manicure just for the heck of it… (and that my best friend and I have plans to get manicures together one of the next times we hang out).

That I’m loving my sparkly light purple toe-nail polish.

That the tasks on my “to do” list for work are all painfully tedious at the moment.

That I have a staff meeting I don’t want to attend this afternoon.

That I have a department meeting tomorrow morning that is likely to be extraordinarily awkward and has the potential to be explosive.

That I’m really glad this day is half-way over.

That it’s “Sarcastic Wednesday” (google this for the video that explains it).

That moving is going to be a bigger pain this time, because we’ve accumulated things in the time since I moved out of my parent’s house.

That it will take forever to pack my several thousand volume library.

That moving books is brutal.

That I should pare down my library, but know I won’t, because my books are like friends that I re-visit over and over again. They have underlining, and favorite stories, and notes in the margins.

That I need to get back to work now that I’ve emptied my head of some of the over-thinking thoughts.

0 comments: