Monday, April 07, 2008

Pain, and the Unforced Rhythms of Grace.

I came across this quote from Frederick Buechner on Hope's Blog.

I was quite struck by it.


"I thought a lot about what the stewardship of pain means; the ways in which we deal with pain. Beside being a steward of it, there are alternatives. The most tempting is to forget it, to hide it, to cover it over, to pretend it never happened, because it is too hard to deal with. It is too unsettling to remember.

I think the world is always asking us to do it that way. Our families are always, in a way, part of the family system and so apt to say, "Don't talk about things that cause pain. You can't trust the world with those secrets. Those are family secrets. Keep them hidden. Keep them hidden from each other. Keep them hidden from yourself. Don't allow yourself to feel them."


I'm thinking tonight about this passage from "The Message" as well...

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (Matthew 11:28-30)

I'm needing that reminder. Needing the "unforced rhythms of grace" in my life these days. The lack of things heavy and ill-fitting. Desiring to live freely and lightly. Praying for all of those things.

0 comments: