Friday, March 28, 2008

Thankful for Friends

I was talking with a friend last night about the lessons I learned in the midst of the seven years I suffered from severe depression, and this is one of the ones I shared with her, “find the friends who want to hang out with you even when you're miserable - the ones who will pray for you, and even make you laugh (even when the laughter only hits your head and doesn't penetrate your heart).”

I’ve been thinking about the people whom I’m privileged to call friends lately. I have lots of acquaintances, and very few friends who walk in the deep places of my life. I’ve noticed this more sharply this last season, as I’ve avoided all but a select few people, in an effort to care for myself in the midst of some hard spaces.

I am privileged to call some very cool people friends. The people I love as friends are passionate. They are lovers of Jesus. They walk in deep spaces. They tend to pour out love and caring on others in ways that amaze me (and I’ve benefited from their love and caring more times than I would care to count). They are profoundly messy – I love that. I don’t have much time for the people who want to pretend that they’ve got their lives perfectly together. The mess is so much more interesting, and generally so much more profound. They care for the poor and the broken and the hurting. They care about seeing others walk deeply with the Lord, and in the things the Lord calls them to. They love adventures, and sometimes, go on the adventure in spite of nearly paralyzing fears.

So to each of you whom I’m privileged to call “friend”, thank you for making me smile. Thank you for bringing joy and love and grace to my life. Thank you for teaching me a little bit more about what the heart of God is like.

0 comments: