Friday, October 26, 2007

In the news...

It's been a while since I posted the news headlines that were catching my eye on a given day, but here are a few from today...

Keeping up the Hard Line on Cuba
As a dual Canadian/American citizen I find the whole topic of Cuba interesting, since the two countries approach their relations with Cuba in such dramatically different fashions. I'm also wondering, as a dual citizen, how it works if I were to ever want to vacation in Cuba - as a Canadian I can, but as an American? How does that work anyway? (Not that I'm planning a Cuban vacation anytime soon... just something I've wondered about from time to time...)

Burma Frees 70 Protesters
Because I know some people who live and work near the Burmese border with Thailand.

In Search of Stolen Saints
Because I find iconography and religious art and history fascinating, and because the title really did catch my eye.

Man Who Sexually Abused Daughter Gets 10 Years
Because I know so many who are abuse victims, and this man's actions made me incredibly angry. 10 years just doesn't seem long enough for someone who began abusing his daughter at 3 weeks old.

0 comments: