Wednesday, July 05, 2006

How do I make this decision?

It looks like I'm going to be offered a job on Friday morning. The woman told me she would have hired me today, except that I need to make more than what her initial offer is, and she needs to do some checking on the finances and interview a couple more people before she makes a decision.

The trouble is this - it would not be an office job. It would have somewhat limited people interaction, but it would be something I would be skilled at doing, and could possibly enjoy doing for a while. I would get to work with hundreds of books, sorting and so on, on a daily basis. It would also pay a dollar an hour less than what I've been using as my minimum hourly wage in the job search. That's approximately $2000 less/year. After three months I'd have some pretty good benefits as well.

I don't know how to make the decision... It's not perfect, but nothing is, and nothing is seeming to pan out at the moment. I really do need to find a job soon, but I don't want to just jump at the first one that's offered to me... How do you know if God is providing something or not? How does it become clear when He is leading? And how do you decide if you can live on a certain wage when you are guesstimating what expenses like rent, car insurance, gas, utilities and so on will be?

2 comments:

karen said...

Lisa, you look at the job; will it be something you'll learn from, and can you bring something good to the table for your employers? If the salary seems to fall short of what you anticipated, but you will have good benefits, what is the total package? Good benefits can be worth the $2000 shortfall you're looking at. Good luck!

Nolan said...

Basically you should always remember that getting raises is easy. All you have to do is spend more money.

Well you have to spend it on other people. At least that works for this friend of mine who just got another raise today.

As far as deciding goes. Prayer is always lovely. So here you go: Jesus, Lisa feels she is missing some wisdom in regards to choosing this job or not. So since you tell us to ask you for wisdom when we need it and you won't begrudge such a thing in the slightest, I'm going to take you up on your offer, because I don't know either.

So I got some pictures of repetitive tasks:
Bent over pulling a heavy object
Garden raking
Pulling down

And in the middle of there was a picture of a stubborn sheep fighting against someone pulling it by a leash.

Except now praying about what they mean, I think God just said that it's me.
When I get stuck on something. When I'm struggling. I need to ask for help.
Well, congratulations Lisa, apparently you're already good at that. So God bless that in Lisa and honour the humility she's shown by granting her wisdom and a clear straight path before her because of her dependance on you.