Monday, August 22, 2005

An Excellent Afternoon

For the record, my last post was quite tongue-in-cheek. Just in case you missed that. It was true that I felt much more self-confident in nice clothes, and that I was noticed, but I also felt better simply because I devoted more time to caring for myself, to caring about my appearance, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

With that said, let me tell you that my afternoon of "retail therapy" has left me in a fabulous mood. It was a great time of good conversation, walking all over downtown Calgary in search of fun shoe shops and to avoid buying a transit ticket, and just generally having a good time. We hit two bookstores, and I bought books at each. (I have a disease where I can't walk into a bookstore without purchasing at least one book.) I bought some "unmentionable" items, and...

I'll have you know that I did find the "perfect" pair of shoes. If I had a digital camera, I'd put a picture here so you could all appreciate them with me. Since I don't, you'll have to either take my word for it or invite me out to dinner so that I have an excuse to wear them!

We wrapped up our afternoon with Vietnamese food at a little restaurant on Stephen Avenue. Vietnamese is my current favorite ethnic food - and it's affordable, comes quickly, and is (at least this is what I tell myself) relatively healthy. It was the perfect way to wrap up the afternoon.

Now that you know that I spent far too much money today, and had a great time doing it, I have to go bake a chocolate cake. My bible study is at my house tomorrow night, and I need to have something on hand to feed them! If you attend that Bible study, bring your appetite, because I don't really want a ton of leftover chocolate cake sitting around my house and tempting me to eat until all of my new clothes don't fit anymore!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate shopping for shoes. Except for flip flops, I haven't bought a new pair for almost a year. In fact, the pair of black boots I'm wearing right now are atleast 3 years old. I never know what kind of shoes to buy, and can't understand people who own more than 10-15 pairs. Except I know I need nice flat shoes to go with a skirt or capris. But for some reason, I can't justify spending $100 on shoes like I can on clothes. Maybe I just haven't found the right pair yet. But I hate shopping for shoes so I fear I never will. Ahh it's a mad cycle isn't it?