Sunday, May 01, 2011

Margaret Atwood on writing

I've never read a Margaret Atwood book.  (I know, I know, what kind of Canadian am I?)  The truth is that I started one or two, and just couldn't get into them, and so I gave up.  But, the other day I came across this quote from her, on writing, and loved it, and wanted to share:

“You most likely need a thesaurus, a rudimentary grammar book, and a grip on reality. This latter means: there’s no free lunch. Writing is work. It’s also gambling. You don’t get a pension plan. Other people can help you a bit, but essentially you’re on your own. Nobody is making you do this: you chose it, so don’t whine.”

- Margaret Atwood

3 comments:

renee altson said...

I had to chime in, because, as you know, she's my favouritest author ever!! she easily helped landscape my own desire to write and to forge on.

Lisa said...

I always love when you chime in, Renee, and I'm so glad that Margaret Atwood spurred you on to write, because I've certainly been moved and challenged by your writing. I was just thinking about your book again the other day. It's on my list for another re-read very soon!

Amy Nabors said...

Oh how true this is! Thanks for sharing.