Monday, December 20, 2010

A Review of "A Time to Embrace" by Karen Kingsbury



A Time to Embrace is an older Karen Kingsbury novel, published originally in 2002.  It continues the story of John and Abby Reynolds that began in A Time to Dance.  It tackles issues of love, commitment, intimacy, and forgiveness and does so with a deft hand, effortlessly weaving truth into the story line without feeling overly preachy.

I am a self professed lover of story, and, as Christian novelists go, Karen Kingsbury is a master storyteller.  I am most happy when profound truth is communicated in the form of a story, and Kingsbury has mastered this art.  Her novels, and this one was no exception, are encouraging and uplifting, though I would warn that they almost always fall into the "tear jerker" category!

In this case, I read A Time to Embrace in about three sittings, but only because I couldn't carve out a large enough chunk of free time in a busy weekend to read it in one.

What made me particularly happy was the fact that, since this book ended a series, it didn't leave the reader with questions.  Loose ends were tied up, and one was able to mentally picture the desired "happily ever after" ending, without wondering about the "what if's" and "but what about...'s"

I would wholeheartedly reccomend this one to anyone who's in the mood for a bit of happier reading for a change.

Note: This book was given to me at no charge by Thomas Nelson Publishers via their booksneeze.com program.  I was not required to provide a positive review, and am not being compensated for the review.

0 comments: