Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I am Hutterite by Mary Ann Kirkby

“I am Hutterite” by Mary-Ann Kirkby tells the story of the author’s early childhood in a reclusive Hutterite colony in Manitoba, and of the extraordinary transition necessary for her family when her parents chose to leave community life and everything they’d known behind for a life outside the colony.

This was a fascinating story.  Perhaps because it appealed to the religious history geek in me – the person enthralled by groups like the Hutterites and Mennonites and Amish that emerged after the reformation.  And perhaps simply because at each trip to the local farmer’s market I see Hutterites selling their farm goods (usually some of the nicest available) and I felt like this book opened up the closed world of the Hutterite colonies in a way that is both sympathetic and challenging.  “I am Hutterite” presented a challenging perspective on life both within and without of a community of faith, and is well worth the read.

Disclaimer: “I am Hutterite” was provided to me free of charge via Thomas Nelson publisher’s booksneeze.com blogger review program.  I was not compensated in any way for this review, nor compelled to write a positive review.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,

I enjoyed reading your review of I Am Hutterite! I work with Thomas Nelson, and we truly appreciate your help in sharing this book with your readers!

Jodi Hughes
JHughes@thomasnelson.com