Saturday, January 30, 2010

Reading Update

A quick update on the progress I'm making on my goal to read (or listen to an unabridged audio version) at least one non-fiction book a month.

This week I finished a book of essays on faith and life.  Titled "The Best Catholic Writing 2004", it was a good read, though some essays were definitely slower than others, and, because of the time frame in which the book was compiled, at the height of the abuse scandals that rocked the church, the book was a bit heavy on content dealing with that scandal, and the way forward for the church.

I also finished listening to the audio book I've been listening to for the last couple of weeks.  Titled "Traveling with Pomegranates" by Sue Monk Kidd and Anne Kidd Taylor, this is one I'd highly recommend.  It's basically the story of several trips a mother and daughter made together, but it's so much more.  Laced with Greek mythology, faith, illness, and themes of transition in life, it was a truly beautiful story.  I had to laugh at the way some of the themes I was listening to were paralleling conversations I'd been having with a dear friend.  It was definitely a timely "read" and one I'll be listening to again, as well as possibly purchasing in book form.

0 comments: