Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mental Clarity?

I read yesterday that your brain continues growing until you are 26 years old. I'm 26 years old.

When I read that, all I could think was, "oh dear, I've lost two years of brain growth to stress and illness." Because I can tell you with certainty that my memory and thought clarity have been degraded over these last two years of stressful moments.

These days I write everything down. If you need me to do something, and I don't put it in writing, it's quite possible it won't get done. If someone asks me to do something at work, and I'm not at my desk to write it down, I ask them to send me an email reminding me of whatever it is that they need done.

My memory issues came home in a truly amusing way this morning as I was getting ready for work. I found myself staring at my closet, thinking about the outfit that I'd like to wear that day, and realizing that though I thought I might have worn it quite once this week, I really had no idea. I had no idea what clothes I'd worn this week, except for the ones I'd worn yesterday. I ended up picking out a rarely worn outfit, because it was the only one where I could be absolutely certain that I hadn't worn it at all this week!

Here's hoping the mental clarity and memory can be restored as I continue to move towards a place of managing the stress and health issues with greater deftness, and bringing them under control or turning them over to Jesus.

0 comments: