Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Beaten with a Stick

(perhaps, just in case you're all new here, I should mention that my sense of humor is, shall we say, sarcastic).

Okay, with that disclaimer aside, let me share the verse of scripture that has provided much amusement to me today. But first the story that goes with it.

When we were teenagers, my middle brother (who also has a wicked sense of humor) used to go around informing us that "stupid people should be beaten with a stick." If we questioned him, he would tell us, "It says so in the Bible."

I was thinking about that verse the other day, in the midst of a rather trying encounter with another person, and it made me smile. So last night I emailed him, hoping that he still knew the reference for what had, at one point, been his favorite verse. He came through this morning, sending me an email with the reference, and the appropriate version to find his favorite translation of the verse.

It's making me laugh as I again deal with some rather trying people today. (I think I'm developing an affinity for the practical wisdom of Proverbs. It's been speaking to me on far deeper levels than this amusement lately as well.)

Proverbs 10:13 (Contemporary English Version)
If you have good sense,
it will show when you speak.
But if you are stupid,
you will be beaten
with a stick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa
this is going to come in handy! Who knew?! I'm going to look it up! Should it go on a t-shirt, I wonder?
How's the weather there?
It is SO HOT here - we've had a week of over 40 deg c days (45 deg c for last two days running), and high 20 deg c nights. Our public transport is running badly, and we're having blackouts (planned, to cut demand, and unplanned, when 2 of the 3 major lines go down). Thankfully my office aircon was working just fine, so I've had some cool days, but unproductive ones due to not sleeping at night. My house gets really hot really quickly, and cools slowly.

But the failure of various bits of infrastructure has reminded me how well things go most of the time, considering we humans run them. And how gracious God is to us - the lives we lead, that we get power and water at the flick of a switch. I'm trying to practice gratitude. It's on my list of "things that work". I have this list, along with "things that don't work", pinned up in my bathroom and kitchen, and read them every morning and night. Trying to learn new habits and practices, to replace the unhelpful, but so familiar ones.

Hope you are well, and that your sleeping is getting better.

Best wishes
Jenny, Melbourne, Aus

Lisa said...

Hey Jenny... we're in the midst of a "Chinook", which basically means a wind comes in and warms things up for a few days. Kind of a nice break in the midst of winter. It was -20C or worse several days last week.

sleep is a bit better, thanks for asking.

And yeah, gratitude is definitely a helpful practice!

Lisa