Monday, June 30, 2008

Three Words

How can three simple words be so profoundly calming and restorative?

He’s three. A bundle of energy and muscle. Always moving. Always intense. He waved at me when I walked in, and grinned from across the room, but was engrossed in a television show and didn’t come over to greet me.

When he finally came over, he motioned for me to come down to his level. I squatted, now eye-level with him, my knees nearly touching his.

He whispered. “I like you.” Except that he’s three, and it sounded more like “I ike you.”

My heart began to smile. It wasn't a fluke when he said it the last time I'd visited. It seems this is how I'm to be greeted by this child.

I asked him for a hug, and gathered his little body into my arms. “I like you too.” A quick tickle and I let him go.

Those three words went farther in that moment towards soothing my jangled soul than all the other things I’d tried or used to bring about that soothing on a day when much soothing was required.

I carry them with me, close to my heart into today, and this week, and this month.

0 comments: