Monday, August 20, 2007

A Fierce Day

There are deep things going on around me in the last few days. I don't understand a lot of them, but I know they're important.

I'm learning about the things that are mine, and the things that aren't as I pray. I'm learning about how not to absorb them.

I almost never have a sense of the spiritual dynamics of a room or a location. I can typically sense stuff going on with specific people, but rarely in a room.

Today, I knew there was stuff going on in the room.

This is so rare for me that I emailed a friend I'd talked about this kind of stuff with, to get some advice on how to handle it.

I left my office for a very specific ten minute period at lunch today. I had planned to eat with a coworker, and begged her grace for ten minutes. I needed a break from the building. There was something going on in the building today. I have a pretty good idea of what a bunch of it was tied to.

For ten minutes I walked and prayed. I talked with Jesus about the people and things I was picking up. I handed the things I was experiencing - the emotions that weren't mine - off. As I prayed I felt Jesus begin to speak, even though I'd only given him a tiny ten minute time limit. He spoke, and I prayed. When I went back to lunch with my coworker, some of the things God spoke were confirmed. Words I'd heard as I walked and prayed came out in our discussion of the very odd day we were both experiencing. My peace was restored, though somewhat challenged as the afternoon wore on.

I found myself exhausted as I traveled home. My body is not used to the sort of hyper-awareness I lived in today. I very nearly fell asleep in the middle of reading the first chapter of "Listening Prayer" on the bus. I think, though, that I'm going to find the book very helpful.

And with that, I'm going to chill on the couch. I need some downtime before engaging in the next battle.

0 comments: