Wednesday, May 09, 2007

In the News

Okay, so I have a news story to tell you. I was listening to the news on the radio this morning, as I got ready for the day, and something caught my attention.

Apparently the major issue in the morning traffic commute was a herd of buffalo on a highway between Calgary and a small town just north of the city that many, many people commute from. What other city in the world of over a million people can you still find the major traffic issue being a herd of buffalo? It cracked me up, made me chuckle internally my whole train ride into work.

In other news, I found this article about high school dropouts in New York, and the successes in helping them graduate and succeed very interesting. Check it out.

1 comments:

Faye said...

Yeah, the states have been having major issues with schooling since they introduced legislation that only gives funding to schools who have the highest rates of student graduation. It means that schools with high percentages of immigrant or low SES students who tend to have greater difficulties are given even less support. Also, it encourages schools to just train their students how to pass the exam, rather than actually learn/explore the material in an interesting way. Poopy.