Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tired Brain and an Ethical Dilemma

My youngest brother and my dad and I sat around our dinner table for nearly two hours after we finished eating tonight. We got involved in a wildly ranging theological, ethical and moral discussion that started with the topic of tongues, but quickly (though I'm not sure how) moved to a discussion of ethics, stemming from the following question, with the included presuppositions. Let me know what you think. I should, theoretically be able to tell you all about the ethics of it, but to be honest I'm not entirely certain I followed our conversation, which travelled in quite a number of circles before coming to a conclusion. (We did however, wander our way through an illustration of all of the events of world history as a five act Shakesperean play, with the five fingers on a hand as a visual... I found it very helpful in terms of some big picture stuff!)

So, here's the question: If someone you know was going to have an abortion (and, assuming that you oppose abortion, you've made your position very clear to them, but they're still going to have the abortion), and if you don't accompany this person, they'll be alone, would you drive her? And why?

1 comments:

Faye said...

I would. It would bother me b/c I would feel like I was sending mixed messages about my beliefs, but I would do it. My reason: what good would not being there do? All that says is that you can't be her friend if she makes bad choices: essentially, if you can't stick with someone through her stupid choices along with her wise ones, you're teaching your own friend to lie to you about who she is and what she does. At least if you go along you can continue praying for her and offering her a way to back out w/ your support at any time.