Friday, March 17, 2006

Provision and sleeplessness

I am a pastor's kid. My dad does not pastor a mega-church, and he's not a best-selling author or radio preacher. That means that I grew up in a home where finances were always tight.

But the thing is, I learned early on about Jehovah Jireh - God the provider. My parents were always clear when unexpected money showed up at just the right time, or when an unexpected gift allowed us to do something special that it was God's way of taking care of us, of treating us, of making sure we were provided for.

I have seen it dozens of times, and I always forget it. It didn't even occur to me in all my blustery financial stress last week that God would provide above and beyond my expectations for this trip to Mexico. But He did. First, my glasses were repairable - for only $100. My frame is three years old, but by some miracle they hadn't been discontinued, and I was able to replace only the broken piece.

Then, a variety of people I never expected to offer their financial support gave me money or let me know that they would be giving me money. Some of them were people I hadn't even thought or intended to ask to pray, never mind contribute financially. And God has provided above and beyond what I could have asked or expected. And I was amazed, because I had forgotten yet again that the God I serve, the God who asked me to travel to Mexico, would also provide the means for me to obey.

Which brings me to the sleeplessness. I haven't slept well at all the last couple nights. If you read this blog at all, you know that really isn't that unusual. The thing is, I'm battling anxiety attacks -unexplained fears. That is not normal in my own bed. I had anticipated that this would be a challenge when I travelled - it always is, and I was taking steps to be prepared to ward off the fear while we were travelling. But it has arrived early. Today was very unsettled because of the uncomfortable and undefined fear from which I awoke this morning. Please pray for my sleep over the remaining week until I depart. Pray too for my sleep while we're gone. The thing is, I believe God has called me to this trip, and I'm working to trust him with my whole self - and with my rest. So, I'm asking you to pray for and with me in this.

One week from tonight I will be on a church floor somewhere in Billings, Montana, attempting to sleep. I am excited to make this trip, but very apprehensive as well. Your prayers are coveted.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When are you leaving, and how much more moo-laa do you need?

Lisa said...

Leaving Friday, March 24th, back April 3rd. I think all the money is pretty much in. I'm just waiting on confirmation on amounts that a couple of people have indicated to me. As far as I know, I need less than $100, and I had planned to pay for part of the trip myself anyway. God really did surprise me with where the money came from, though. He's so good that way, and I always forget that!

Nolan said...

oh good I can pray for someone instead of remembering to myself that I haven't had 6 hours of sleep any night in a week.
That could be misconstrued if you read it. I mean that I keep thinking to myself that I'm tired and wishing for a night to finally get at least 7 hours of sleep. So when I think of such things it will be an easy reminder to pray for someone else who is also tired and not getting sleep, so that they won't be tired and will get sleep.